Farrow & Ball Calamine is a beautiful calming romantic pink. I instantly pictured it when I received a brief for a romantic bedroom a few weeks ago. It’s a delicate backdrop for a white and grey bedroom with layers of pastel linen bedding. With lots of options for low lighting, you can’t get more romantic than that!
The brief was an upmarket one but I have shopped the high street to bring you this look on a budget. The dark grey skirting board and cornice bring a bit of edge to this room. I have illustrated it here with grey carpets but it would also work with floorboards.
Left to right:
- Dressing table: I love this dressing table from Pine Solutions in a soft grey, as it has such a timeless shape. As it’s a console table it’s not too deep so would work well if you’re a bit tight on space.
- Chair: A simple classic design.
- Mirror I prefer wall hung mirrors above dressing tables. I would hang it off center and make sure you’re sat in the chair when you hang it to get it at the right height.
- Vase and candle: Here I’ve picked some colour coordinated items from H&M home but you can obviously use what you have and add to it over time as you find items you love.
- Wardrobe: I love this Provencal style wardrobe from Pine Solutions in white. They also do a triple version if you have more room and more clothes! You can also shop the range for a matching chest of drawers or ottoman depending on the size of your room.
- Dressing gown: If you follow my blog you will know I have a thing for linen so it’s no surprise that I love this dressing gown. It is my go to for a wedding present: embroidered with Mr and Mrs on the back.
- Teal parrot table lamp: I like how this pops against the pastel colours and adds a bit of fun.
- White table lamp and ceiling light in matching design.
- Bedside tables
- Bed: The LEIRVIK bed frame is a bargain starting at £79 for a double bed frame and slates.
- Bedding: I love to mix 2 sets of linen bedding, mix-matching the pillows to the duvet cover. Here I’ve also added linen cushions and a velvet cushion. The key to the romantic look is layering the bedding!
- Wall art: These are a set of 4 Wedgwood plates which pick up on the parrot lamp and match the pastel palette. Just add a plate hanger to the back to hang them on the wall.
Total spend of £1,623.92
But in HMP style, you could cut that down further by:
- Finding the LEIRVIK bed or a similar metal bed frame on eBay or a local Facebook selling group.
- Painting a pre-loved pine bedroom set: I would buy 2 cans of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, one Old white and one Paris grey. No need for sanding with Chalk Paint. I would paint the dressing table grey, the wardrobe white and then mix the colours for a light grey for the bedside tables and chest of drawers.
- If the Wedgwood plates are too expensive, you could buy 4 blue floral plates on eBay or a mix of plates from the new pastel stoneware SOMMAR range from IKEA to do the trick (they also have a cute set of 3 vases which would look lovely on the dressing table).
- If the white table lamp and ceiling light are too expensive, you could also go for a simple large white pendant like the IKEA NYMO and a paint a pre-loved table lamp with the Chalk Paint.
Happy shopping and happy making!